Monday, November 7, 2011

Molotov Cocktease and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch (Dr. Girlfriend)

Hello My Friends!

I wanted to share my latest project with you. I decided I would make a better effort to celebrate my favorite holiday. So this year, I made a Dr. Mrs. the Monarch costume for myself, and a Molotov Cocktease costume for my BFF Jess.

The results were great! These are the best costumes I have ever had the privilege to wear/make. I want to share the process with you guys. I made a video, but I sometimes think I'm more articulate in print.






Molotov Cocktease

For Jess' costume, we found a black unitard. All I had to do was cut it down the middle in the front and the back and it pretty much opened up the right amount. I hemmed the edges to clean it up, sewed the cups of bras onto the inside, and had her model the costume while I pinned strips of shiny red spandex to her. After that, I sewed some of the strips on with the machine and Jess helped by hand tacking the belts and garters in the correct spots.

We created her eye decor with a real eyepatch. We just glued a felt heart onto it, and voila! Awesome assassin eyewear. I made her boot covers and gloves with the same red spandex material I used to trim her costume. My video has an example of how I did this.

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch


I found a black unitard and cut it into the shape of Dr. Mrs. the Monarch's costume. I then added red spandex strips to create the monarch logo on the front. Once that was done I added the same yellow spandex I used to create my gloves, necklace, crown, and boot covers, to trim the costume's plunging neck/backline.

As a final touch, I added a sparkly yellow fabric for the Dr's wings, because I had never seen that before. Also, I am attracted to shiny things. I'm a bug eyed, brunette, stereotype. I know.

I'll be posting more pics tonight, but in the meantime, please enjoy the video below to see who inspired me to use the mannequin idea. These women are awesome!

She Sings Sub Rosa © 2008 | Coded by Randomness | Illustration by Shayna | Design by Shayna